electrical storm

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The plans of God

11.20am and i'm still in my pj's - this has the potential to be a very good day. Having no shifts at the shop, all i plan to do is go for a walk, return some library books, and watch "Lost" tonight. Bliss! i love days like this once in a while. Ok, if i had them every day i'd go insane, but from time to time, doing nothing is just about the best thing ever. Before i forget, the library books...three innocent looking texts that, being from a public library, looked likely to start me on the path of learning Russian before uni for free. But oh no no! Being myself, i lost them - so not only have i failed to learn ANY russian (on account of them being down the back of a chest of drawers for nearly the entirety of the month that they were in my possession) but i've also acquired a £10 fine from the library and am regarded as a wanted woman by librarians in lands everywhere. Sob.



Anyway, to get on to the point of today. Yesterday you heard about tim and alan, well today it's time to at least mention two other very important people in my life; anna and mike, the unlucky pair who had to put up with me in kosova for seven months. And although it's now a year since we returned to the UK, we remain the closest of friends. Anna is now studying (haha) speech therapy at Sheffield, which is actually the first thing i ever found out about her - within seconds of meeting for training for Kosova we'd discovered we both had deferred places to study on the same course at the same university, a pretty mind blowing fact considering there were only about thirty people in the entire country who were going to be doing so. We'd never met before, but all of a sudden not only were we going to be spending the next eight months on a gap year together, but also apparently the four years after...it was one of those "God moments", and such a INCREDIBLE confirmation to us both that we were in the right place. I love it when God does that. However .... while i was in kosova (and i hasten to add this was nothing to do with anna!) i had increasingly little peace about speech therapy and sheffield, and eventually after searching my own heart and God's for many months pulled out of the course, leaving anna to go it alone. It was one of the toughest decisions i've ever made in my life - i couldnt understand WHY God would put us on the same gap year and the same course if i was supposed to pull out. But it got to the point where i knew i just had to decline my place, even though i didnt really understand why, or what was going to happen to me. And it's only been in recent months, nearly a year on, that i've really understood what God was doing - He was testing me to see if i'd follow Him, no matter what. Within weeks of arriving in kosova, Anna had become the closest friend i'd ever had, and i was so excited about going to university with her - accepting that i wouldnt be was the hardest thing i had to overcome in deciding to give up on sheffield. So I now believe that God put us on the same course in Sheffield so he could see if I would follow Him when He told me to get off it again! I know it doesnt make much sense, but i really believe that. And the amazing thing is, once that decision was made, God blessed me so abundantly - me and Alan got engaged, and I got a place to study at Glasgow for this autumn which means we can now get married in 2007! And there's still more - although having to take a second gap year (i dropped out of speech therapy too late to get into anything else for a 2005 start) was a massive disappointment at the time and has been tough throughout, I can now see that EVEN THIS was God's perfect plan for me - i was a wreck when i came home from kosova, and i kid you not when i say i don't know if i'd be here if God hadn't had me at home this year where he could do so much work in my life. It's only been in the last couple of weeks that all of this has finally clicked into place, and it has been by no means an easy ride - but i can now see how God had me in his hand all along, even when i was blind.
Oh drat, i got totally side tracked from anna! where do i start - she's lovely, she's the better version of me, she's going to be my maid of honour :D She's the one i go to for wisdom and advice, whether that's "should i wear these shoes with that top?" or "how do we go about starting a revolution for God?". The only fault i can find with her is that she doesnt like beans. Currently (after an exciting game of british bulldog) she has a cast from the end of her fingers to her elbow. Please pray she'll be healed before her exams!

And then there's mike - where do i start. Mike was a god-send on those -28 degree mornings in Kosova, when he'd turn up at our flat, light a wood fire, make me coffee, and kick me out of bed in time for wherever we were supposed to be going, regardless of how much abuse i threw his way. He's now studying medicine (ooooh!) at brighton, and takes great delight in recounting all his gory experiences with me. I have mike to thank for many things, but the main one that springs to mind is his diagnosis of alan's appendicitus in january and insistence that he went straight to a hospital - thank you mike! I love mike like a brother, and miss him very much.

well, that was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Im now off to get up at nearly 1pm. How to make myself unpopular, huh? :P x

1 Comments:

  • At 1:51 pm, Blogger Alan P Harrison said…

    Lot of blog entry, in fact you were writing for an hour and a half apparently!

    Love u xXx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home