electrical storm

Sunday, May 21, 2006

rock-a-bye baby....


Tonight as i get ready to go out to work, i am struck by how easy life was when i was small. And yes, before i go on, that rather fabulous looking infant in blue, is infact me. I used to think it was tim, but i've been corrected! (i wish they'd left me in the dark..).

When we were small, by which i mean at least under five, there was nothing that someone couldnt put a plaster on and cuddle away. When i've voiced these occasional yearnings to return to pre-school age in the past, people have always given me lectures on the wonders of independence, "adult" life, and belittled those days when the loss of a favourite blanket was just about the worst thing that could happen to you. And i suppose they are right - there ARE things about being a grown-up (hang on, who am i kidding, i'm still fiercely hanging onto my teenage status for another month) that way out-do being a toddler. But today at church, i felt like i was breaking my heart, and just wanted to be held by someone. You know when people hold tiny screaming children and do that funny slowly-moving-from-one-foot-to-the-other dance while saying meaningless comforting phrases like "it's alright, it's alright, don't cry,don't cry"? well that's what i wanted today.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now if i had done that you wouldn't have thanked me! Lol!:0)

     
  • At 10:13 pm, Blogger Mr and Mrs in iMmoral claWs said…

    I noticed the simpleness of life when watching the Genesis kids. I could entertain one 4 year old lad for easily half an hour just by being silly on the swing. And the babies giggle and run around and nothing matters. I've often wished life was that simple!!

    Missin you hun see you soon? When you working this week?

     
  • At 11:08 am, Blogger Alan P Harrison said…

    Some would say that I retain that simpleness of life. I do like string...

     
  • At 8:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry Sarah my picking you up and rocking you days are long gone. But i will stand on the third step up on the stairs and pretend to be bigger than you and give you a cuddle you ant day! MUM

     

Post a Comment

<< Home